•   almost 8 years ago

Remote Test Lab and Loaner Program

I tried last night to use the remote test lab to test my app on a Galaxy Note. Most of the times I tried it I could get the image of the device with the spinning logo in the middle but then it would just show black where the screen part should be and I would let it sit for several minutes and nothing would happen. Eventually one of the times I was able to get what looked like a home screen with the notification bar at the top and a image background that said to swipe to unlock the device but no matter what I tried with the mouse I could not get it to unlock. I was wanting to see if anyone else had similar issues or were able to get it to work. After all my attempts I am out of credits so I will have to wait a day until I can try again.

On another note. Has anyone been able to find any information about how we get the 2 week loaner device from Samsung? I emailed the presenter of the webinar last week and also posted on the Samsung formums but so far received no response and with only 3 weeks left to finish the app and have the video I would like to be able to start testing.

• 25 comments

•   •   almost 8 years ago

I finally received a reply on my post on Samsungs website. It says:

"Sasmung Developers does not support any device loaner program.
    You have to contact your local Samsung center and find out if there is loaner program."

Someone on Samsungs chat session on their website gave me two phone numbers to call to find the local center. One number wasn't sure and the other phone number after having me on hold for several minutes came back and said she checked and such a program does not exist. I guess I will have to go back to the Remote Test Lab and see if I can get that to work and if not just give up on this contest all together. The contest Blackberry just had for Android ports was much better about replying back to their developers and I would suggest to anyone to look for more contests from them in the future.

• Manager   •   almost 8 years ago

Hi Chris,

Thanks for writing. Please email galaxynotedevsupport@sta.samsung.com with questions on Samsung's Developer program resources, including loaner devices. The loaner program is a separate Samsung Developer program and not a part of the Galaxy Note S Pen App Challenge. A limited number of loaner devices may be available on a first come first served basis. Developers can also use Android Emulator and Samsung's Remote Test Lab Service for testing.

Best,
    Marny

Just my input:

I'm having the same problems with the Remote Test Lab. I was able to get it working about 10% of the time I opened it a few weeks ago, but when I tried two days ago, I got nothing. So, I have to get by with the hope that my app will work and look nice on the Note.

•   •   almost 8 years ago

I finally received an email back from RTL support saying that they know there are issues and said they thought the Poland device was working. I just logged on and tried it and also the other two and still not working. One wouldn't connect at all, the other was just a black screen, and the 3rd gave me the home screen and the message to unlock but no matter what I do with the mouse it will not unlock. I also emailed Samsung Galaxy Note about a loaner device with no response. I was really excited about this contest but it looks like it will be reserved for large developers that can afford their own devices.

•   •   almost 8 years ago

I'm basically in the same position as you. All three devices not working (though the Poland one was the one that sometimes worked a few weeks ago) and no response yet about the loaner. I'll still be trying to get my app out, though, some way, some how. :)

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Update: I got a reply about the loaner program asking me for my contact information. I responded with all the contact information I could think of, so we'll see what happens.

Can you try this?

@Override
    public boolean onTouchEvent(MotionEvent event)
    {
    String osVer = Build.VERSION.RELEASE;

boolean penActiveOn = false;

int metaPenActiveOn = 0;

float penPressure = 0.0f; // Pressure.

if (osVer.startsWith("2.3"))
    {
    // Gingerbread
    metaPenActiveOn = 0x200;
    if((event.getMetaState() & metaPenActiveOn) != 0)
    {
    penActiveOn = true;
    }

if ( penActiveOn )
    penPressure = event.getPressure(); // S Pen's Pressure
    else
    penPressure = event.getPressure(); // Finger's Pressure.
    }
    else if (osVer.startsWith("4"))
    {
    // Ice Cream Sandwich
    if(event.getToolType(0) == MotionEvent.TOOL_TYPE_STYLUS)
    {
    penActiveOn = true;
    }

if ( penActiveOn )
    penPressure = event.getPressure(); // S Pen's Pressure
    else
    penPressure = event.getPressure(); // Finger's Pressure.
    }

if(penActiveOn)
    {
    // TODO Active S Pen routine
    }

return true;
    }

@SamsungJohn

Obasi,

I received the same email today as well. I put my address and phone on there since it didn't really say what they meant by contact information or when we could expect a device. I thought we had to give a credit card for a deposit so I assumed we would have to call a phone number and give that to them to get it shipped. Please post if you hear anything more or get the device.

After multiple tries I was able to get the Korea RTL to work last night and upload a test APK I had. It worked but was supper slow. Took almost a minute to draw just one line with a 18mb internet connection! Way to slow to record for the video they want us to submit. Hopefully this loaner device will come through and I could use that. Not sure I want to spend anymore coding time on this until I know I will have a device to test and video with.

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Last night, the China RTL was somewhat functional, but I couldn't upload my apk. Today, however, the Poland one worked well, at around a frame per 2 seconds. It worked for my purposes of getting my views aligned correctly.

I still haven't gotten a reply about the loaner device after the contact information one.

• Manager   •   almost 8 years ago

Samsung is aware of the issues with Remote Test Lab and is working on it. You might want to use the Android Emulator for now: http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/tools/emulator.html

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to say we've added several more devices to the loaner program. Many have gone out, but we have some available, and will be adding even more soon. It is first come first serve, but we do want to support everyone as best as possible. Contact galaxynotedevsupport@sta.samsung.com to find out more and get signed up for one.

Best,
    Hod Greeley
    Samsung Developers

Hod,

I was sent an email asking for contact info last week but never heard anything else about getting a loaner. Will we receive an email if one is going to be sent to us and if so will it have tracking or est delivery so we know if it will be here in time for the contest?

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Chris, you should receive a response either way. And the shipments will have tracking numbers. Send another mail to the contact address and I will check on it from my end.

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Chris, your loaner have been shipped out today, 2nd day air. You should get an email soon.

•   •   almost 8 years ago

I just got my email about the device. Thanks, Hod, and everyone else involved!

•   •   almost 8 years ago

I received my email as well. Can't wait until tomorrow to get a chance to work with this device. Thanks to Hod and everyone else that helped make this loaner program happen.

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Hanna, not sure if its too late to apply for the loaner program? If not I would like to apply. Thanks!

Numan,
    Please send your address and phone number to galaxynotedevsupport@sta.samsung.com ASAP and we get it processed right away. Depending on where you are, may still take 2-3 days to arrive. Good luck!

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Thanks for such a prompt reply! I just emailed as you asked.

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Hanna, I emailed yesterday. Am I am supposed to hear back today from you guys? I live in new york city btw.

•   •   almost 8 years ago

I got my Note today. thanks for the fast shipping! This will make development much easier.

Obasi,

I received my loaner as well. Have you been able to get it to connect to Eclipse for testing? The USB drivers installed because I can browse the storage but I don't have the ADB driver for the Note and can't find anywhere on the Samsung site or the web to download it. I can email my APK to the Note to see how it looks but need to connect to Eclipse so I can debug.

Chris,

ADB is the Android Debug Bridge. It comes with the Android SDK. There is no special version for Samsung devices. If you've loaded the USB drivers for the Note and you have your Android SDK path set in Eclipse, the device should be showing up.

I have seen machines take a long time to install the USB drivers and recognize the device. Make sure you give it plenty of time when you plug the Note in, especially the first time.

Best,
    Hod Greeley
    Samsung Developers

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Yeah, I had trouble at first, probably just because I needed to wait longer or something. But, if you grab the drivers from here and install them, you should be fine. After that, it takes about ten to fifteen seconds for it to register in adb whenever you plug it in.

Comments are closed.