Samsung invites software developers to create S Pen-integrated apps for Galaxy Note using the S Pen SDK. Winners will receive $205,000 in cash and prizes as well as promotional exposure and recognition in Samsung digital social media. Prizes will be awarded for the best overall apps and for category honorable mention awards in games, media, sports, social, lifestyle, travel, education, productivity, entertainment, and other.
Developers must use the Samsung S Pen SDK library to integrate S Pen functionality into a new or existing Android application that runs on Galaxy Note. Apps will be evaluated based on the overall user experience of the app on Galaxy Note, the quality of the idea, and the functional implementation, including S Pen integration. Developers retain ownership of their applications and may charge for them or provide them for free. When uploading apps to Google Play, developers are encouraged to include "Made for S Pen Galaxy Note" in the description of the app and to uncheck the box that says "All Devices."
The challenge is open to individuals and teams of individuals who are residents of the 50 United States and it territories, as well as organizations domiciled in the 50 United States and its territories.
$205,000 in prizes
Best Overall App - Grand Prize
Best Overall App - Second Prize
Best Overall App - Third Prize
Popular Choice Award
Category Honorable Mention (10)
$2,000 cash; and
Samsung Galaxy Note (estimated retail value plus shipping and tax: $800)
One prize will be awarded in each of ten categories: games, media, sports, social, lifestyle, travel, education, productivity, entertainment, and other.
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
How to enter
- Create an account on GalaxyNoteSPenChallenge.com or log in with an existing ChallengePost account.
- On GalaxyNoteSPenChallenge.com, click Accept this challenge to register your interest in participating. This step ensures that you will receive important challenge updates.
- Create a working Android software application for Samsung Galaxy Note integrating the S Pen Software Development Kit (SDK) library to provide S Pen functionality.
- Confirm that you have read and agree to the Official Rules, and submit your application by including the following:
- A link to your app on Google Play or another website where the .apk file is available for download
- A video demonstration of your application on a Galaxy Note or emulator, describing its functionality, including the S Pen integration
- A text description of your Application, including how S Pen is integrated and how the user experience is enhanced by S Pen
- At least one screenshot of your working Application
- A category for your Application (games, media, sports, social, lifestyle, travel, education, productivity, entertainment, or other)
VP of Consumer Marketing, AT&T
Investment Principal, BlueRun Ventures
VP Publishing Americas, Gameloft
SVP Product Innovation, Samsung Telecommunication America
Quality of the Idea
Includes creativity and originality
Implementation of the Idea
Includes how well the idea was executed by the developer and how well S Pen was integrated
Overall User Experience
Includes design, graphics, typography, visual aesthetic, and impact of S Pen integration