•   almost 8 years ago

Trouble running S-Pen examples

I downloaded the S-Pen SDK and setup the AVD for the Note but when I try to run the examples I get the error message:

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: bitmap size exceeds VM budget

I do not own a Note to test the examples on. Is there a way to change my AVD or Eclipse settings to get around this error so I can view the examples to get an idea of how the S-Pen works?

• 8 comments

•   •   almost 8 years ago

I was able to get a couple of the sample projects "running" on an emulator (i.e., example 1) but I cannot actually draw on the screen using the mouse. I see the canvasview with the pen/eraser selections, but when selecting a pen and "drawing" with the mouse pointer, nothing happens.

BTW, I'm using the following as my AVD:
    Android 2.3.3 - API Level 10
    WVGA800
    Density: 240

I found some info on StackOverflow that suggested using 800x1200 or 800x1280 as the resolution and density of 320, but that created the same error you are seeing - bitmap exceeds VM budget.

I also see errors like this in the logcat in Eclipse:
    * SAMM Library is null. Library was not create successfully.
    * SDraw - this engine isn't supported to run on sdk (Samsung : false, pen : false)
    * Could not find method android.view.MotionEvent.getToolType, referenced from method com.samsung.sdraw.CanvasView.a

In the same boat - no actual device, so would love to figure out how to configure an AVD to get this actually run on the emulator.

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Here is the AVD setup I was running:

2.3
    800X1280
    SD Card 256M
    lcd 240
    heap size 24

I found that on Stackoverflow as well. If I change it to your AVD settings I can get it to run but like you I can't see the Pen draw anything on the canvas. I also get the same SDraw messages in the LogCat. Seems odd that Samsung supplies Skins for the Galaxy S2 and other devices but not the Note. It would have been nice if they could have done a promotion like blackberry where if you write an app you get a device for free so you could test it.

I don't have a Note so I wanted to try and run some examples to see how it works and how hard it would be to write something of my own in a 1 month time frame. With that short of time frame and no real documentation or tutorials to help get started I am thinking whoever wins this competition will be big name developers and hard for those of us doing it in our spare time to have a chance. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Hello,

When you create the AVD, have you tried to bump the default value from VM heap size?

Twitter:SamsungJohn

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Wanted to give an update. I was able to get my original AVD to work by upping the heap size to 48. I now get the app to load but like the other AVD I do not see it drawing anything. I do still get this message in the LogCat:

E/SDraw(381): This engine isn't supported to run on sdk. (samsung : false, pen : false)

I am running 2.3.3 API Level 10 because that is what is listed as the minimum in the Manifest of the sample. When I run the Andorid SDK Manager it says my SDK is up to date.

I have been searching on the net but there appears to be little or no support/development for the S Pen. Samsung needs to provide more developer tools like a Note Skin and step by step tutorials of examples for the SDK.

•   •   almost 8 years ago

We will address all questions in the Webinar tomorrow.

March 1 at 11:00 AM Pacific / 1:00 PM Central / 2:00 PM Eastern

Twitter: SamsungJohn

•   •   almost 8 years ago

John - since the webinar was cancelled for today, would it be possible to get some details prior to Monday on how to set up the emulator?

Thanks!
    Kyle

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Since the Webinar is being rescheduled for next week. Would it be possible to post answers to our questions about getting the emulator working and running the examples? I am doing this in my spare time and would like to be able to see how it works this weekend so I can decide if I want to enter this contest or start work on a different market app.

Thanks

•   •   almost 8 years ago

We are working on the problem with the emulator. In the interim, SDK 1.5 is still available. Version 1.5 does work with the emulator. It will give a good feel for what it's like to work with the SDK in general. You can find it at http://innovator.samsungmobile.com/cms/cnts/knowledge.detail.view.do?platformId=1&cntsId=10210

Hod